Parish Church of our Lady of Mt Carmel

345 people were here

About Parish Church of our Lady of Mt Carmel

Sometimes simply known as the Carmelite Church, or the Balluta Parish Church, this is a neo-gothic Roman Catholic parish church located in Balluta Bay, in St Julians.

The present church dates from...

Sometimes simply known as the Carmelite Church, or the Balluta Parish Church, this is a neo-gothic Roman Catholic parish church located in Balluta Bay, in St Julians.

The present church dates from the early to mid-20th century. The original Carmelite church was a small neo-gothic chapel which had been built in 1859, based on plans drawn up by Emanuele Luigi Galizia. Later, it was handed over to the Carmelite friars, who rebuilt it in 1900, on plans by the architect Gustavo R. Vincenti. After Vincenti's death, Joseph M. Spiteri took over. It was then further enlarged in 1958.

In 1974, the area surrounding the church was turned into a parish, separate from that of St Julian's, and this church was chosen to be its parish church. It was dedicated on 12 December 1984.

Place Details

Most Popular Places