Qawra Tower

401 people were here

About Qawra Tower

Under the reign of Grand Master Juan de Lascaris-Castellar, seven towers were built in the period 1637 – 1640. As well as Wignacourt, Grand Master Lascaris paid for the building of these towers...

Under the reign of Grand Master Juan de Lascaris-Castellar, seven towers were built in the period 1637 – 1640. As well as Wignacourt, Grand Master Lascaris paid for the building of these towers out of his own pocket, such was his dedication to fortifying Malta’s coastal defences. With the exception of St. Agatha’s Tower in Mellieha (built in Wignacourt built), the Lascaris towers are smaller than Wignacourt’s and consisted of two storeys, a flat roof and a parapet. On some of the Lascaris towers, a cannon was positioned.

Place Details

Most Popular Places