St Augustine Church

455 people were here

About St Augustine Church

One of the first churches that were built with the birth of Valletta, its foundation stone was laid in 1571, following the plans and guidance of renown architect Girolamo Cassar. The church was...

One of the first churches that were built with the birth of Valletta, its foundation stone was laid in 1571, following the plans and guidance of renown architect Girolamo Cassar. The church was later rebuilt, in 1765, on the plans drawn up by Giuseppe Bonnici.

It was consecrated by the Augustinian bishop of Gozo, Giovanni Maria Camilleri on 1 July 1906, and elevated to the status of the parish church in 1968.

This church's structure differs from most other parish churches, as it is centrally planned in a cruciform layout, with a dome over the crossing. Artefacts found inside are originals from the first church

Place Details

Most Popular Places